Saturday, December 15, 2012

Pampering Yourself for the Holidays!

How many of us worry about what gift to give the kids teachers, your friends, the family lottery, and the kids but forget to take some time out and pamper yourself? Me, me! I admit it. I stress about the perfect gift for the sister-in-law we got  this year for Mister's family, My brother and my sister's boyfriend that we got for my family, the kids teachers, the list goes on.

I've mentioned before that I have two sisters-in-law that have allergies to ingredients commonly found in things like lip balm. One is allergic to aloe and the other is allergic to coconut. While neither bothers me I prefer to be considerate when I know I am going to spend some time around one or the other. So here are some recipes that I use to pamper myself, de-stress and pamper others!

Bath Salts- Honestly this is quite possibly one of the easiest things that I make and I have the boys help me. I use 1 part epsom salt and 1 part rock salt (ice cream salt works great too!) The last batch I made was for both me and Mister's youngest sister so I put 2 cups of each kind of salt into a gallon zipper bag. I added about 10 drops peppermint oil (remember I LOVE peppermint ) and handed the bag to the kids to shake. I poured most of it into a jar that we sent to her and the rest I used in the bath that night. I use about 1/2-1 C per bath. Epsom salt is known for helping aching muscles and softening skin. Add peppermint to that and it is my personal nirvana.

Body Spray- Also easy to make! Mix 1 part rubbing alcohol with 1 part witch hazel.  For each cup of solution I like to add 5 drops of essential oil. The one I use that day depends on my mood. I like to mix it in an old water bottle. I pour the ingredients in and hand it off to the boys to shake. I use the little travel spray bottles from Target to hold the spray. I shake it again just before use then spray on me. The rubbing alcohol and the witch hazel evaporate and leave the scented oil behind.

Vapor Disks- If you haven't read the Peppermint and Frankincense post already go back and read it for the directions on this one. I love them and so do the boys!

Lip Balm- doTerra makes their own peppermint and wild orange lip balm that I love to death! The only problem that I can see is that it is made with coconut oil. So in deference to my sister-in-law I hunted down every lip balm recipe I could find on pinterest and found this and this.  While the first uses coconut oil the second uses almond oil which I don't have on hand. After looking at what seems like hundreds of recipes I decided to just dive in and try it from scratch. The basic recipes use beeswax to keep them solid and vegetable oils to allow them to melt onto your lips.



1.2.3.
1. My containers I used. Hobby Lobby doesn't carry lip balm tubes so I found some small bead containers instead.
2.They are clear on the bottom and the perfect size. Too bad the lids are pink, I just can't see my brother or dad using the lip balm from a pink container.
3.This is part of the ingredients the Vitamin E oil and half of the beeswax. I used 1 TBS each of Beeswax, Shea butter, and Cocoa butter. I also uses 1/2 TBS sunflower oil. I melted in my makeshift double boiler. I usually use a can from beans or vegetables that I have cleaned out and used pliers to make a spout on (just one of the many smart things I learned from my mom).

4.

4. Once everything in the double boiler was melted (less than 5 minutes later) I added 8 drops of wild orange EO and 4 drops of peppermint EO. It was just enough to give the lip balm a light and pleasant scent. I ended up with just enough lip balm to fill 8 containers. After it solidified I put the lids on and now they are ready to go to the girls in my family. As soon as the lip balm was cool enough I had to try it. I love it! It has a creamy texture and the blend of the oils moisturizes my winter ravaged lips like I wanted.

None of these recipes takes very long and can be done with items you usually have around the house.

Now go and pamper yourself and take some time to relax this holiday season!


No comments:

Post a Comment